Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Happy 5th Birthday Austin!

Austin turned 5 years old and boy was his birthday eventful. We decided about a month ago to take Austin to see Walking with Dinosaurs on his birthday. We'd seen the commercials and Austin said that the dinosaurs were coming for his birthday. We didn't tell him until today that we were going to see the dinosaurs tonight.

Austin picked out his favorite shirt to wear today, his Keep Austin Weird shirt. Very appropriate. Our day started with a trip to the Dr. Hamm's office. I had really been talking the visit up and making sure he knew that he'd be getting shots. I told him that he'd get to stand on a scale to see how much he weighed, see how tall he was, and pee in a cup to which he responded "Ya hoo!" Even at the tender age of 5, the little man in him gets excited about peeing in a cup.

For the past few days, he'd been saying that he was going to be brave and not cry when he got the shots. The finger prick went OK. The shots, however, were a different story. The moment the nurse walked in carrying 4 shots he started asking questions. What are you doing? What are you going to do with that? I hate having to hold either of the kids down to get shots. It just feels like I'm torturing them. I know it's necessary, but I still feel bad.

I felt so bad that afterwards we went to the Dollar Tree. He picked out a bag of cotton candy, some Silly Putty, some bouncy floam stuff, a police car, and two balls (one for him and one for Andrew). Then we went to Publix to pick up some cookies to take to school for the kids snack in the afternoon.

Then Austin told me that he wanted to eat lunch with me. So, he and I went to Chick Fil A. I let him play and trade in his prize for an ice cream cone. I took him to school and when he walked into his class all the kids yelled "Happy Birthday Austin!"

I'll give more details about the dinosaurs later. Here are two pictures, one from April 4, 2004 and one from today. Happy 5th Birthday Austin! We love you!

1 comment:

our lady of perpetual stuff and nonsense said...

cannot believe my monster is 5! i remember the day he was born...i was standing outside of a building at camp allen, and my phone blew up larger than life. i was so excited to hear your voice, telling me that Austin was here, and doing fine. God is good. so glad he likes his shirt!!

love--tia

background