Sunday, December 20, 2009

But, you're a Mommy

Austin's teacher sent home a calendar of the month of December with 24 M&Ms. On each day of the month, there was a task (i.e. name the 5 senses, count the steps in your house, etc.). Austin would get a M&M for each day if he answered the question for the day or solved the problem or whatever.

I have to admit we'd fallen behind on the calendar, so tonight we were catching up. One of the questions was to name the months of the year. Now, Austin's known the months of the year for a long time. So, imagine my surprise when Austin got to May and then said that he didn't know the rest. I kept pushing him to remember, reminding him of the song that he used to sing to remember the months and giving him hints. He got frustrated with himself and with me. He says "You're a Mommy. You're supposed to help kids. I'm a kid; you're supposed to help me." I couldn't help but get tickled. He's such a smart kid.

I then explained to him that, yes, Mommy's do help kids, but I won't do the work for him. I equated it to cleaning up the playroom. I would help him clean up but I'm not going to clean up all by myself. He nodded like he understood. We'll try again tomorrow!

No comments:

background