Sunday, October 25, 2009

Gingerbread haunted house

I've never proclaimed to be creative or artistic in any way. But, Austin and I saw this gingerbread haunted house in the store a couple of weeks ago and we just had to buy it. I convinced him to wait until closer to Halloween to do this project. We have two cats that love to nibble on things they shouldn't. Last Sunday, we pulled out all the parts and pieces and the instructions at about 4:00 p.m. I decided it was best for me to read the directions thoroughly first before attempting to put this thing together. So, we decided to wait until yesterday when we had plenty of time to work on it.

I explained to Austin that ours probably wouldn't look as good as the houses on the package. I also told him that we could decorate it however we wanted to. It was our haunted house, so we could do what we wanted with it.

First, you mix the icing of your choice and then use it as glue to hold all the parts of the house together. This was interesting because none of the pieces really fit together as they came in the package. I didn't do any trimming; I'm not a patient person and me trimming gingerbread pieces would probably end up more disastrous than leaving them as they came. So, we managed to get the bottom of the house together and then came the waiting. ONE LONG HOUR for the "glue" to set! We set the timer so we'd know when it beeped it would be ready to put the roof on. We got the roof on and then waited a little bit before mixing the green icing for the slimy roof. The icing was a little too thin but Austin didn't care. He was anxious to put all the decorations on the house. When we were finished, he asked if it was time to eat it!

Here's a picture of what it should have looked like.

Here's how ours turned out. Not bad for our first try. I'm sure our Christmas house will be better!

1 comment:

Michelle Carney said...

Not bad at all! Good job!

background