Monday, October 6, 2008

P.S. I love you

Austin has a little girlfriend. Correction. It seems he has quite a few girlfriends. This became apparent to me on Saturday at the birthday party when he ran up to one of his little friends, a girl, and started holding her hand. Saturday afternoon, we were outside playing and the little girl from across the street, Mary Kyle, came over to play. She and Austin played for a little while, then the girl who lives next door, Maggie, came outside. He wanted to leave his original play date to play with Maggie. I explained that we'd invited Mary Kyle over and that he could invite Maggie to play with us which he did. Eventually, Maggie and Austin ended up in our house watching a movie.

Yesterday, Mary Kyle and Austin were back to playing with each other. Austin invited Mary Kyle inside to play and they started playing with the walkie talkies. He lost interest pretty quick in these and Mary Kyle still wanted to play with them so I joined in. Austin saw this and wanted to play too so I gave the talkie back to him. That's when I heard it.

Mary Kyle: "I love you!"
Austin: "I love you too!"

The first non-family member I love you. How sad is this for me? Very even though it's all part of growing up and he's only 4 and it's terribly cute.

No comments:

background