Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Sniff, sniff!

I took Austin yesterday to the pediatrician for his flu vaccine. I opted for the mist versus the shot. I figured he's old enough to sniff something up his nose and, let's face it, wouldn't he rather do that than get a shot?

Prior to the nurse coming into the room, Austin asked if he could go tee tee in a cup. He has started doing this at his well-child visit. I told him no; we weren't there for that today.

The nurse came in and explained that she was going to squirt something up his nose (like water) and then she would tell him to sniff. We all practiced sniffing. We were ready to begin. The nurse put it up his nose, squirted, and said, "Sniff." Austin sat there. I chimed in and said "Sniff." He still just sat there. He started laughing. I had visions of mist round two and knew that insurance would not pay for two tries at a flu vaccine. Finally, after much convincing by me and the nurse, Austin sniffed the stuff.

On the way out, Austin requested a sticker. He wanted to be weighed. He wanted to be measured. I did let him step up to the yard stick hanging on the wall and he's a little over 43 inches tall. The one time Austin actually wants to hang around the doctor's office...

No comments:

background